We have all been around someone who might be in a bad mood, is having a hard time, or perhaps is a ‘negative nelly.’ However, for some people, this becomes more prevalent, insidious, and all-encompassing. We all have our good and bad days, but you really need to ask yourself if your relationship is toxic. Why? Because it can affect your health. Ask yourself:
- Does this person make you feel bad about yourself?
- Do you feel physically or emotionally drained?
- Are you always giving without receiving anything back?
- Does this person isolate you from family and friends?
- Do you ever feel unsafe? Fearful?
If you answered “yes” to any of the above questions and have negative feelings about or around your significant other, spouse, or friend a majority of the time, then you may be in a toxic relationship. Is it time to ‘detox’ this person from your life? If this relationship is not serving you mentally, spiritually, emotionally, and physically, then it can be very difficult to stay healthy and thrive in your life.
A toxic relationship can affect your health, but there are 3 things you can do about it right now:
- Recognize the relationship for what it is and be at peace because it is not up to you to change the other person.
- Create personal boundaries for yourself
- If you find the relationship intolerable or feel miserable all the time, it may be time to leave. Otherwise, the circle of stress will continue to harm your health.
Deciding on the best course of action may take time, and you can help yourself make that decision by practicing meditation. As you become more ‘present’ and less stressed about possible future events, you can anchor yourself in the present and foster a positive change.
Another great way to help release negative energy and clarify your mind and body from the inside is through regular yoga practice.
Talk about it with someone who can give you an objective point of view, share your perspective, and help you gain more clarity. The toxic person may be willing to engage in counseling with you. Set boundaries, cultivate an inner circle of people who love and support you, and trust your intuition.